Health and nutrition experts recommend the following eating and dietary patterns that should be followed to promote a healthy society.
Alcoholic beverages are high in calories but these do not contain any nutrients. If you drink, drink only moderately. Drinking alcohol may cause many health problems and sometime lead to addiction.
- Eat a variety of foods get the energy (calories), proteins, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber
- Maintai a healthy a healthy weight in proportion to your height. (see Height and Weight Charts" on Body_chart) This further minimize the chances of trapping in ill health conditions like irregular blood pressure, heart disease, various cancers, diabetes and other health problems.
- Eat a diet low in fat, especially saturated fat and cholesterol to minimize the risk of heart problems, various cancers, and other health problems. Fat contains about double the calories of an equal amount of carbohydrates or proteins. A low fat diet will help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat plenty of grain products, vegetables and fruits, which provide vitamins, minerals, fibers and carbohydrates. These products are generally low in fat, which is good.
- Drink water in plenty.
- Eat sugar but not more than required. Sugars give lot of calories but no nutrients, which may cause tooth decay and other health problems.
- Eat salt and other form of sodium in moderation. This will reduce the risk of high blood pressure and other health problems.
The 5 Food Groups
Good Fats Vs Bad Fats
Height and Weight Charts
Healthy Eating Basics
Glossary of Terms